Friday, July 18, 2008

A small, I mean large, insight into my soul

I've been overwhelmed lately. It's true. And I bring it on myself. I have all of these things ubiquitously in the back of my mind that I want done. And I want them done right. I want to shower and get ready each day. How difficult can it be? I want my kitchen floor mopped at least every other night. I want my bathrooms thoroughly cleaned spic-and-span once/week. I want to weed 30 minutes/day. I want to paint my childrens' beds black. I want to get a large picture of each child edited, re-sized, printed and hung. I want to learn about photography. I want to involve my children in a service project for someone else once/week. I want to build up my food storage, I only want to eat home-made bread. I want time each day to study the scriptures and ponder in a silent room until I've experienced something meaningful - without falling asleep. I want to spend a whole day with my family at Bear Lake building castles and getting sand permanantly lodged into our bodies. I want to find time to do all this AND be available for my children in a way that allows me to be patient at any given moment, providing my children with the perfect example of unselfish love right in their home, right before their very eyes. I want to play with them on the floor and thoroughly enjoy it with no thoughts of all the other things I could be getting done. I want my children to hear from the scriptures every day. I want them to know all the primary songs by heart and sing them with cheerful vigor. I want them to enjoy working. I don't want my children to watch t.v. during the week days. I want them to have millions of happy childhood memories to share with eachother when they are older.

Well, so all I need is a schedule right? Right! O.k., nap time is over. It's time for us to go on an outing. As we get ready, Ethan is grumpy. "Thomas!" He wants to watch Thomas, of course. Again! O.k., go watch Thomas while I get us ready. McKenzie is disappointed that she doesn't get a popsicle because she already had one earlier for "McKenzie Time". "Well, I'm not having one for McKenzie Time tomorrow!" she yells. "You're right," I say in a super-human calm way. "You're not having one at all tomorrow because you talked rudely to me about it instead of being thankful for the popsicle you did get". She throws a tantrum. Asher is crying because he's hungry for something that isn't one of the 5 things on his tray. My schedule for an outing is from 4-6p.m. It is now 5 p.m. Why doesn't everyone get with the program? This was supposed to be a fun, cheerful, smooth event. Thomas.....Tantrum.....Trauma......Thomas.....Tantrum.....Trauma....(it looks so clean and simple written that way in order - and not overlapped into one globby mess of a noise, which was really the case)...o.k., so we'll start a schedule tomorrow. Everyone upstairs. We're watching a movie. And to justify that we're watching t.v. again and to remove a portion of my guilt, I will hold you during it and tell you how great I think you are and hope it equates into a happy memory. Thus my cycle of being overwhelmed: the reality doesn't quite match what I've dreamed up in my head. The solution? I have too much in my schedule and I'm expecting too much of all of us - most of all, myself. Something has got to go. In fact, if I put first things first - like the scripture-studying, song-singing, what else matters? Not much. Sure, Asher will be grabbing relentlessly at the pages and Ethan will be upset that we're huddled around a book that doesn't have a little blue train on the cover. It will be difficult to feel the spirit between his outbursts of angry. But, after a couple of weeks, or months, or by the time they are 22, they should get used to the idea, right? Simplicity. I need to make it my motto. Because when you really think about it, how much more time is there in a day than what is required to: eat breakfast, clean up, get ready for the day, study scriptures, sing songs, family prayer, make lunch, eat lunch, clean up, nap time/quiet time, make dinner, eat dinner, clean up, bath time, go to bed? O.k., there are a few moments between there. But, those should be reserved for spontaneous experiences like this:

Ethan spent 10 minutes trying to capture this fly that was flapping against the window. It delighted him. He would get so close and then it would buzz free. He never did catch it. Time wasted? No. I envy that children seize the moment and aren't measuring it against some predefined value of time. And, yes, that is peanut butter smeared across his face - another example of living the moment to its fullest. SIMPLICITY. Tomorrow our schedule is: Get ready, sings songs, family prayer, read scriptures and stay nourished. If anyone doesn't want to get with the program, they can throw a tantrum in their rooms - while the rest of us sing "The Lord commanded Nephi to go and get the plates" loudly and happily enough for them to hear and regret their decision. Wish us luck. But, seriously, if there is a mother out there who has mastered the art of reading scriptures daily with her children, I'm begging you to share. Don't be afraid to tell me all about it. If you need to toot your own horn, toot from the rooftops. Tell me how to get it accomplished! If I can only choose one thing to do well (o.k., so now we're getting realistic), that would be it. I've gotta learn - and I've gotta learn now. And don't tell me it can't be done with a 10-month-old, 2-year-old and 4-year-old. I won't accept it.

9 comments:

b + j = calculus said...

wow, amy, you took a page right out of my own book. i have such a hard time letting go of all of the things that i want to do and just focus on simplicity... and once you find out what works with scripture reading... let me know, i have yet to master that one!

The Coatney's said...

Oh yeah, scriptures. I forgot about them today. I guess at least it wasn't stressing me out. Maybe tomorrow.

Kristin Wilkerson said...

I really liked this post. It's a hard thing to fit everything in a day that's for sure! My attempts at some form of scripture study with Caleb have failed miserably. I remember when we were little my parents would just have us watch the living scripture videos. I've considered investing.

Ashlie said...

Can you raise my kids too?

Rachel said...

You sound like me, only you are already near perfection on mommy standards! When are you going to come by and visit me? 25B!!! Come play!

jaredelizabeth said...

We do it at night as part of our bedtime routine...Mia sometimes enjoys it but mostly endures it and It's mostly a time when I'm threatening Mason with time out if he's not reverant(we are really working on practicing reverence with him since reverence is the antithesis of Mason) BUT...sometimes it works well and the rest of the time we just do it to stay in the habbit....good luck...I hope you find what works for you.

P.S. At least once a week one or both of my kids falls asleep while reading scriptures....bonus!

At Home! said...

Amy! I love this blog...wow! it brought back the memories of all the many things to do in a day. You have a way of saying how I feel.I was thinking of our visits,
Bruce and Elisa used to pull out one of the pictures from the picture packet Kit (blue box thing from distribution for about $35.00 I think) and show one picture to the girls and then read/tell the very short story (printed on back) just before bed. I think they now do like Jason and Tiffany who right before bedtime, read some scriptures and have the child (who's turn it is) repeat the verses that they read). It is super fun to listen to them do it, and one verse at a time, they will form the best habit of their lives. For awhile, Brooke was having her children draw the scripture person that they were talking about or letting them listen to the tapes at night I think. When I visited Josh and Natalie, I know that they read stories right before bed...and so I think that is probably when they read scriptures too. Seems at night, the children can keep it on their minds all night and sleep soooo good.

I admire all of you moms and dads who care about the really important things like scriptures and trying to catch bugs in child time...the rest can wait. Smart to put first the things we can take with us forever. I love you, Mom

m@R(! said...

I found your blog. :) i really liked reading this post. it made me realize that I am not the only person in the world who can't do everything...i am so glad you are my neighbor.

david santos said...

Nice, nice and very nice Baby!!!
Happy forever.