When I arrived, my Mom and Aunt Maxine were at grandma and grandpa's house raking leaves. My grandparents came home after peeling potatoes at the cannery all morning, and grandma refused to trade me leave-raking jobs. She bent over and up with handfuls of leaves to stuff into the bag that I stood there and held.
On Tuesdays, my grandparents work in the temple from 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. They have a garden and a dog to look after. My grandma quilts and makes cards. They went deep sea fishing last year with family.
My grandpa also went this year with a group of cousins. We took advantage of that opportunity to invite grandma to her cabin for a night. Besides their afternoon naps, which any teen-ager would need after all they accomplish, they are always busy. Grandma makes me laugh with her temple escalator stories and the way she tells it like it is sometimes. By the way, a huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY to grandma yesterday! I love you so much! Would you ever in a million years guess that they are 79 and 80? I asked Grandma where she chanced upon the fountain of youth. I hope I inherited some of those genes.
Here are some pictures of our priceless night at the cabin with grandma:
She led the children on a hike through the forest
She led the children on a hike through the forest
All of these fabulous kids slept in a big room together upstairs on rows of full-sized beds. Grandma slept downstairs on a hide-a-bed. She assured me that if any babies woke up crying in the night, we could bring them downstairs as to not wake the others. She said it wouldn't bother her a bit. And the thing is, I believed her.
Here she is loving our children
After the kids were in bed, we spent the evening playing games and listening to stories of my grandma's life. We listened wide-eyed and with questions. It was a memory I will cherish. When grandpa returned after being away from Grandma for three days, Grandma said something like, that was the shortest three weeks of my life! :)
As I was about to pull out of their driveway to leave, Grandpa washed my window - because that's just who he is. He is the kindest, most Christ-like person I have ever met. I really think that he has obtained charity (something that I strive for, but that too often seems just out of reach). Being in his presence causes a person to feel loved. I can only remember one even remotely negative thing come out of his mouth during my whole life. But alas, it really couldn't be labeled as such because, well, you'll see..... So I was dating a guy who seemed very interested and whom I liked a ton. Suddenly, with no warning or explanation, this boy was cold and vanished. I was staying at my grandparents house for a week or two between semesters at school. We were eating breakfast and I was down in the dumps - heartbroken. My grandma lovingly asked about it. I told them it stinks. My grandpa said in the most kind way, "the only thing we want to see of that boy is his tail lights". I was honestly shocked for a moment. However, he said it in the most gentle way - a way that meant no disregard for the poor fella, only compassion and love for me. I wouldn't have thought that was possible. That's charity for you - when you have the ability to take sides, without really taking sides. I love love love this man!
There's so much I would love to tell you about these two - about their amazing marriage, grandma's many talents, how much I love listening to grandpa teach and give talks, their humor, grandma's childhood of experiencing the life of the rich and famous during parts of the year (with her father's family) and experiencing the life of a humble country-girl the other times of the year (with her mother's family), my grandfather's childhood of living in a small two-bedroom house as the youngest of nine children, the challenges they have conquered with grace. I could go on and on and on...........but then this would still be the longest post ever posted into the blogging world.

I always leave my grandparents' presence not only feeling that I want to be a better person, but feeling that I can.
Grandma and Grandpa, thank you for showing me how to live life. The way you live yours is a testimony to me of the blessings that come from living the gospel, the joy that comes from families, and the importance of a good old-fashioned sense of humor. I love you!
(Annika, I hope you don't mind that I stole pictures from your blog :) )






4 comments:
Ok, reading this post made me realize I need another Grandma and Grandpa visit. They really are amazing as individuals and as a couple.
Beautifully written Sista! :)
What a beautiful and true tribute. I loved reading this blog. They are incredible and we are blessed to know and love them. I learn so much from the way they love each other. Thank you Amy for sharing. :)
Amen!
Love, e.brooke
That really is such a sweet post! Your grandparents are definetely on my "favorite people" list! They are adorable!
Post a Comment