Friday, October 10, 2008

Pimp Jacket

Yes, I knew that title would catch your attention. You see, this was my first impression of Jason. He came to my apartment dressed in a vintage 60's leather Jacket, inherited from his uncle that had died at a fairly young age. He looked dapper - and that is the word that I would have used, had I been responsible for naming the jacket. "Dapper Jacket". That has a nice ring to it, don't you think. O.k., maybe not. Anyway......He did look handsome and I forgave him of the black socks underneath brown sandals on that crisp October day. However, it was a little more difficult to forgive the fact that he referred to his jacket as the "Pimp Jacket". That didn't leave me with a good impression and, unfortunately, I think he paid for it for months. Sorry, Jas. It's your own fault though. :) However, Jason, a lover of words, knew what I didn't: there is more than one definition of Pimp. The definition he was going by was, "1607, perhaps from M.Fr. pimper "to dress elegantly" (16c.), prp. of pimpant "alluring in dress, seductive." You can go look up the other definition which is what I was thinking. (Yes, not a good picture).
I interviewed Jason briefly about his choice to call this a Pimp Jacket at such a critical moment -like a first impresson (which still, to this day, sends my mind into a quandary). "Didn't you think that it would give a bad first impression to call your jacket a Pimp Jacket," I asked? He explained that to everyone else it just meant it looked good, in kind of a fun way...ur something. He said "That's actually something I like about you - you're ultra conservative". Awesome. So ... some things to learn about this post:

1. Don't judge someone based on your first impression. Luckily, I finally found out that he wasn't actually that type.

2. Jason likes to play around with words - so watch out and be prepared. Also, it would be helpful to bring along a dictionary. He will often use a word in the correct way that is most popularly used in an incorrect way just to confuse you and make you think. I tell him, "Whatever the majority of people think a words means, that's what it means". He disagrees.

3. One of the miriad of reasons that Jason and I make such a great pair: I often say the wrong word that sounds similar to the correct word. He started calling me "Mrs. Malaprop" early in our marriage. Mrs. who? The irony of Jason's love and intellect for words and my throwing around words that sound good whether it means what I'm trying to say or not, is funny.

Jason wears the pimp jacket every time we celebrate the day we met, which I love. He has, however, given up on using black socks with brown sandals to win over my affection, which is also nice. He is in Boston right now for work, living it up. We're at grandma's house, living it down. Have fun, my love! Oh, and thanks for posing GQ for this year's pimp jacket picture (7 years later, I still grimace as I type it. However, that's the jacket's name. It may be bad, but if you have a friend named Helga, for example, you don't just go around calling her Jane). By the way, I've actually grown quite fond of the pimp jacket and for this dapper man who happens to wear it.

7 comments:

Bruce said...

HILARIOUS!!! When I saw your post title I was about to call you to "rescue" you and let you in on a little secret called "the dictionary"!!

I Love Jason's Smarts with words. It is a Lovely Lovely Jacket. :)

The Coatney's said...

very dapper indeed. i have to admit when i saw the title of your post i was a bit shocked. but now i know the true definition of pimp. very funny. and very cool that it still fits him 7 years later, i bet a lot of husbands can't say that.

Julie said...

Wait, he's in Boston and didn't let us know he was in town? Oh wait . . . I forgot we don't live there anymore . . . hopefully he gets a chance to see some of the sights. Also, I think the Bostonians would accept the "pimp jacket" no problem.

Benedict said...

You too are funny stuff!!! I love that you guys remember the details!

Jason said...

I hope visitors don't mind if I add a little to this chin-wag session. I am madly in love with this woman that I found to be so nubile seven years ago! I was somewhat trepid when she oscillated between hot and cold when we were dating, but I am now completely gruntled with how things worked out.

Jake and Annika said...

Love it! Very funny!

Contest and Giveaway going on at our blog!

e.brooke said...

HA! I love my Milly-Dilly for writing this post and I love my out-law brother D.J.!


(D.J. = for Dr. Jess, My own new pet nickname for him!)

YES, Jess! Now we have a D.J!
Lets Boogy!