Thursday, October 2, 2008

Creation

I had a vision in my mind of what I wanted Ethan's home-made Thomas Train costume to look like. I was frightened. I lacked confidence in my ability to pull it off. Remember my February Family Home Evening post? If not, and you have a little time, and could use a good laugh, you should read it. Well, yesterday after reading my Mom's latest post (go to Mom and Dad blog on the right), I took a flying leap over my perfectionist hurdle (that often gets in my way) and mustered up the courage to try. It didn't have to be perfect, right? I mean, this is a costume for a 2-year-old, not the Taj Mahal. Well, I am so ecstatic right now! It turned out even better than I had expected from myself. I did it! I'm so proud. Yep, that's right. Proud - with a capital "P". I had no idea I could do this. How fun! Also, I recently returned my sister's sewing machine after borrowing it for years. I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm experiencing sewing machine withdrawals. I don't think of myself as a seemstress by any means. But, I'm learning something new about myself: I love to create. Who would have thought years ago while I was avoiding girls-camp-craft-time like the plague that I like to create? Remember Elder Uchdorf's talk during the Relief Society broadcast? He talked about how wonderful it is to create. We should create a spot around us that is beautiful! Awesome. His talk was just the motivation I needed to go find that last piece of material I need for Asher's quilt and splurge the few dollars on it. Now I just need that sewing machine back.

Two thoughts that I had while painting my masterpiece:
1) Creation is eternal. Heavenly Father created us. He created this world. He is constantly creating. If we can eventually become like Him, we will also be creating in the next life. It makes sense that it should bring us joy.

2) I think in the next life we will spend time developing a wide range of new talents. I used to think that we would all automatically have every talent and I thought "how lame if everyone had my talent in the next life. That would diminish my talent". Now It makes more sense to me that we would spend time on talents just like we do now - because, really, part of the joy is in the learning process, right? I have also discovered, as I've gotten older and wiser, that it makes talents more fun when you have someone to talk to about them. The more people that share your talent, the merrier! I love talking to people about music theory. It completely intrigues me. How much fun would it be if more people that I knew enjoyed it as much as I do? (hint, hint!). I'm thrilled that we have an eternity of time to discover and experience it all. Awesome!

So, to those inhibited by perfectionism, apathy, or fear (just like me), go create, girlfriends! Take a chance. You may just be down right pleased with yourself.

These are painted on cardboard. I'm going to attach them to eachother with ribbon and then drape them over Ethan's shoulders. This one on front.....


and this one on back.

7 comments:

At Home! said...

INCREDIBLE! AMY-Artist-Girl! That is wonderful. It turned out sooo good (with shading and line quality even)! You should save the Thomas train and hang it on Ethan's wall after Halloween... OR send it to me and I will hang it on our wall! :) I knew you could do it...but you really did it! Way to go!

m@R(! said...

you made that!!! it looks awesome..Ethan is sooo lucky!

Kristin Wilkerson said...

So cute! I really like it!

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

ADorable!!! I so wish I knew how to sew! Fabulous costume! I get first dibs on all halloween costume hand made hand me downs!! ;)

Rachel said...

Oh! Fantastic!! Where were you when Savanna went through her Thomas fanatacism?

e.brooke said...

You amaze!!

e.brooke said...

I can no longer call you Amy..
cuz' you girl...Amaze!