Thursday, May 8, 2008

5 miracles in 5 days - A true story by Amy

The last five days have been such a great learning experience for me! The lesson is one that has been taught to me all my life, but it took experiencing it to actually start learning it. With the help of Elisa and her girls, I did just that! On Friday morning Elisa asked if I would watch her girls from Saturday 'til Wednesday. We owed them and so, of course, I accepted the challenge. Well, once upon a time I watched her oldest 3 while I had McKenzie. I had 4 girls total and must admit, I felt like I was in total never-ending chaos the whole week. I was completely non-stop stressed out and my home was a non-stop mess. This time, I figured it would be better because now with 3 kids of my own, I've adjusted to being able to handle a mess without it completely throwing off my inner aura. Still, I was a little nervous about the fact that Sunday was fast sunday and .... you know how it is, you come home from church completely famished in every way. Also, I had decided previous to Elisa's call to make my fast more real by actually fasting, not just feeling tummy-grumbling hungry during the three hours of church and then coming home and scarfing down everything in sight. Well, an amazing thing happened, a miracle really. I fasted - and longer than usual - and didn't feel tired or hungry the whole day. This may seem like a small thing to you, but to me, I can't remember a fast sunday in all my history of fast sundays where I felt energized and sustained without partaking of the actual sustenance. O.k., miracle number 2. My house was not the disaster I had prepared myself to accept. It was actually clean two or three times/day. The girls helped out extremely well and all the kids were so pleasant and easy most of the time, that it allowed me time to keep things pretty orderly. A little secret about me: I am a person that take naps - almost daily. I count it as part of my job description, right under diaper changing: "Take a nap once daily". It allows me a better chance at being a kind, patient, loving mother. Well, this brings us to miracle number 3: although I did take short naps during nap/quiet time, I felt more energized during these 5 days than I normally do with only 3 children. I actually could have remained kind without taking naps. Miracle number 4: There was not a moment the whole week (besides, admittedly, the very last hour during baths, getting bags packed, laundry done, etc.) that I felt stressed out. In fact, believe it or not, I thoroughly enjoyed myself with all 7 kids ages 7-and-under. I thought of it as 5 days where I could live my dream of having a large family. And, seriously, it was awesome. I could tell right off the bat that I was recieving extra help, but it wasn't until I talked to Elisa on Tuesday that I really understood why. She had fasted for me - just to help me out a little (she had fasted for herself when she watched my kids and I know that she recieved help). It was a combination of that and the fact that I spent our days the way that I've planned to spend with my own children - but just haven't gotten around to really doing: We started each day with getting dressed, saying family prayer, having family scripture study, and eating breakfast. Amazing how when you take the time to do the important things first you seem to have more time in the day - which can be counted as miracle number 5, since it doesn't really make sense scientifically or mathematically. After our days together were up, it was bitter-sweet to see the Hasslers go. Sweet that I had been taught a great lesson in employing the powers of heaven in motherly duties, and bitter that these powers were leaving with the Hassler girls since I didn't need them anymore. Or did I? This is when it dawned on me. These kinds of blessings are not one time things. They don't need to be called upon only when the measures are drastic. They can not be depleted. I'm going to work on using Heavenly Father's help more often in my own life - for my own kids. I'm so grateful that we are able to recieve help. I think Satan wants us to believe we should only ask for help when we are sufficiently spiritually prepared (which could very well be never for a perfectionist like myself), or ask just for special occasions. I'm going to start asking for help daily. This phrase came to mind while thinking about my ability ask for heavenly help: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". And personally, I don't want to do without. I love the "make it do" part. No matter what spiritual level you're at, make it do. We don't have to be spiritually perfect to recieve help. That's a gift of the atonement. We just need to use the spiritual power we have - (even if it's a small tiny amount of desire to have enough faith) and use it. Use it up. Wear it out. make it do. The miracle of it is that you won't actually wear it out. It will be made larger, more brilliant, more evident. And then starts the process again with even more faith. I love this gospel. I'm thankful for the ability to recieve help from heaven because heaven knows I need it! In conclusion, Jason, maybe when I've mastered the art of employing heaven's help for our family on a regular basis, we really could have the 9 children I originally wanted? ... Jason? ... Jason? Are you o.k.?

With that, here are some pictures. Enjoy. And happy mothers day! I love all of you, my favorite mothers in the world. We are doing a spiritual work and can recieve spiritual help. It's easy to forget sometimes. I admire the mothers I know that have learned this already and who have figured out how to diffuse it into their lives. Here, today, starts my journey of diffusion.



Hailey came to our house straight from a party where she had recieved bubbles and a hula outfit. She had seen a "real hula girl" at the party. Well, I think Hailey has the gift of dance 'cuz she looked like a real hula girl when she showed us the moves she had just learned. Cute girl! She was such a huge help to me - always coming up with fun ideas for all of us to do together.





The girls made "hats" during quiet time one day - thanks to Elisa for bringing the stuff. I wish you could see how jam packed full Alexa's visor is with foamy sticker upon foamy sticker! :)


This girl is the most content baby I've ever seen. All I did was throw food to her at meal times and then throw her in bed at bed time (o,k, I actually rocked her and snuggled with her, if the truth be know. But, she was easier than a pet.) The girl was perfectly content to explore her surroundings with her chubby little self and muse at all the comotion.


There were two of four days that I was motivated enough to do all 5 heads of girl hair (while neglecting Ethan and Asher - I love boy hair). Why didn't I continue on to the 3rd day? Well, on the second day, I was mocked. After doing Alexa's hair, she said "Hey, why did you make me a bunny?" Admittedly not my best performance. However, don't all five girls need something a little different? And, well, she was last so I was running out of ideas. All the girls laughed when they saw it. However, they immediately had to figure out which animal their hair made them look like. So it actually turned out to be a hit.
"hop, hop" as she's jumping up and down

Everyone ready for church - no small fete for 9-o'-clockers. Ethan was unwilling to participate in this kodak moment.


This is where the girls were forced to remain for quiet time. "A dungeon?", you ask in horror? Well, it was good enough for playing "American Idol". The girls took turns singing and then gave eachother comments at the end of their performances. Hysterical!
Every little kid needs a good hiding place. This was fun until the big terrible giant-of-a-monster named Ethan stomped all over the top of it, wrecking it - twice.

Oh, Alexa, I forgot to clarify that we're painting on paper, not on arms. Oops, sorry!

Another blessing that I forgot to mention: we had the longest streak of good weather this year while they were here! Definitely nice. There's nothing like the thought of 7 kids couped up in a 1500-square-foot space for an extended period of time.


Hailey made me excited for the stages of childhood that we haven't entered yet. It was so much fun listening to her read Junie B. Jones books at night, with voice inflections and all. And, seriously, you know you've entered a new world with your children when you are no longer the sole egg-cracker in the house.

During the week I had two rules: #1 When you leave your seat, your done eating. And #2 Be patient with me. If you want something, ask ONE time and then quietly wait until I can get to it. This provided me with three lengthened moments of pure sanity each day.


They helped out so well! We pretended that I was Cinderella and they were the little birds and mice that were helping me.


I will always look back on these hopefully-life-changing 5 days with amazing, fond, blissful, happy memories. Thank you, Hailey, Heidi, Alexa and Ashley! I love you girls!

13 comments:

Dean Family said...

You are my hero, next time can I come watch and learn? Your house looks like so much fun- Never tears did I see in those kids. Your great!!! I love that little Brazillian shirt by the way, where in the world did you find that? Love you guys and miss you tons and yes, miracles do happen!

jaredelizabeth said...

I was totally mezmorized by this post....7 kids!....way to go.

Jenny said...

Amy, are you kidding me?! You got them all to church and stayed there and survived that many days. You are so incredible. It is neat to hear how you made it through. I definately should ask for more help then I do.

I also love your 2 rules. I'm a big fan of just a few rules. It's funny to read what rules you chose. And a BIG FAT CONGRATULATIONS YOU'RE GOING TO LOGAN! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We can't wait to join you. It's 11pm now or I would call to hear more details. Call me when you read this.

Bruce said...

You are pretty much the greatest ever. Thank you so much for taking the girls, even on such short notice. I love you!

Ben's Major Jaw Reconstruction said...

Amy we just have three questions for you: Do you like chess? Is it a sport? and What's your favorite movie besides Saturday's Warrior? We saw the movie "Beaches" in the store the other day. It made us think of you and Heather. I can fly higher than an eagle, but you are the wind beneath my wings....

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

Loved your post and insights!!! And the pictures of the kids are priceless. I am glad everyone had a wonderful time!

Julie said...

You are amzing Amy! Thanks for your insight. Glad to know someone else takes naps too. Now I can come out of the closet with my head held high. What does your calendar look like, I'd like to send my two over for a visit. :)

simplycreating said...

Wow Amy thanks, I loved this post. You are awesome. I wish we lived closer so we could play with our kids toghether.

Rachel said...

You are one of few people I know who could seriously handle 9 children and be SANE after they leave the house, you are amazing! You are so good with kids and your little crafts are DARLING! Your kids are the luckiest and I hope you continue to make more and more and more and more...

Ashley said...

That's awesome, Amy!!! I love all the stories and pictures! You did very well, I'm proud of it all, really! Wish I could have been there to play too, sounds like a lot of fun!

Rachel said...

I know I'm behind a little but I just wanted to thank you for that post. It was awesome. you're such a great example to me!

e.brooke said...

I love want to be like you!

Bruce said...

P.S. I want a copy of all the pictures, especially hula girl Hailey! That is the coolest picture, I want to blow it up for her wall! :)