Monday, July 16, 2007

Girl on a Pony

I know it's been a whole month, but I have to post a blog about how cute McKenzie was on my birthday. I told her it was my birthday and that she needed to treat me extra special. She asked, "Who's going to get you a present?" I told her that maybe Daddy would. She said that maybe she could go with him and get me a present too. I told her to tell Daddy that I wanted a camera (just to tease him because we can't just up and buy the one I want right now). A little while later, she told Jason that she needed to go to the store with him to get me "a barbie on a horse" and asked me if I would like that. This was on Wednesday and we told McKenzie that we were going to wait until Saturday to celebrate my birthday (Jason and I both had things going on Wed night). So Saturday morning I was quietly reminding Jason to be sure to take McKenzie to the store with him since she was so excited to get me something. She must have overheard and came running into the room and told Jason that she needed to go with him to get me "a girl on a pony." Then she eagerly asked me, "would you like that? Would you like that, Mommy?".......(I mean, how can you say no? Besides, I actually found this strange child-like excitement growing within me about the idea of playing with a girl on a pony. The same kind of excitement I felt at 7-ish years old about my doll on skates). Then McKenzie told me that they would "wrap it up in paper with a little bow and probably give it to [me] open or closed - but probably open". So Jason and McKenzie came back from the store and he helped her put the present in a gift bag. She then came running upstairs holding the bag out for me and immediately said "can I play with it?" :) It was way cute! As she eagerly waited for me to open it, she said, "we tried to look for a 'cranma', but we couldn't find one." It took me awhile to realize that she was saying "camera"! I completely forgot that I had told her I wanted a camera. I asked Jason if they had looked at camera's and he said that he couldn't figure out what she was saying - he thought she was saying something about a "grandma". I thought it was cute that she actually tried to get my message across even though it had been three whole days since we had talked about it. How thoughtful! McKenzie and Ethan played with my gift and had a great time. It was a fabulous birthday had by all. You can see in the background that Jason is making a french toast breakfast for me - yum! He also made my annual blueberry cheesecake that I always look so forward to. I try to save it for that one time a year because, well, it's not Jason's favorite and the way you buy the ingredients, it only makes sense to make two pies of it and.........let's just say he made them on Sunday night and the first pie was gone by Tuesday. As for the second pie - it took great perseverence to keep a couple of pieces in tact past the end of the week. Hey, Asher needed to participate in the celebration too - even though he couldn't play with the "girl on the pony". (By the way, we're naming our son Asher Helaman - for those of you who didn't know and were curious) :)





7 comments:

simplycreating said...

That is so sweet of McKenzie. What a great memory. I was so glad to hear that you still eat blueberry cheesecake on your birthday. It's nice to know some things never change!

Bruce said...

This story even made me smile the 3rd time hearing it! :) McKenzie is so funny! :)

Good job on not eating the cheescake in one sitting! That would have been a hard one for me! :)

elonna said...

I am glad your birthday was great. You are such a sweet heart cause you could have been disappointed. You are a great Mom. You don't even look pregnant in the picture. I can't believe that you are going to have your third baby soon. Congrats on everything!

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!! I use to always have cheesecake on my birthday too... although I try to allow for equal opportunity as far as cake and ice cream go.. ;) McKenzie and Ethan are keepers for sure, as well as their thoughtful daddy!

Jake and Annika said...

Happy Birthday! Good luck getting your cranma!

Hilary said...

Love the story- so darling. Since Asher means happy - that will be a perfect name for one of your children. Congrats!

Julie said...

Hey girl on a pony - just thinking of you. Hope you're feeling well these days. Almost on the home stretch here right?

Love you!