Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Shimmer Horse

McKenzie wants this for Christmas
She tells me every day "Shimmer Horse Gift Set" as if in a transe (she repeated it over and over at the store and all the way home until it was permanently seared into her memory bank).
However, I would like to get her this

and this - with extra outfits to go with them.

Also, I don't want Christmas to become a put-your-order-in-and-that's-what-you-get so early in the game. Where's the fun and excitement in that? I'm not sure what to do. I'm also not sure why these are SO expensive (I mean, they are dolls - not real, live offspring). What I am sure of, however, is that I have way better taste in toys than McKenzie (sorry, my sweet pea - the truth is hard). O.k., the truth is hard. And the real truth is that I want to play with the dolls and their clothes. Jason, will you get me some Holly Hobbies for christmas?
So to all you moms about there - what do you do? Do you get your child the toy of their dreams no matter the cost for the cheapy looking thing - or do you figure out a way to get them what you want to get them?

7 comments:

At Home! said...

the (barbie brand) shimmering horse and tiny little girl doll(small) are really cute and only ten dollars. The doll is well made in that brand, but without shape and not obnoxious like the big barbie things! :)I couldn't find any of the hollie hobbie dolls anywhere.

Bruce said...

Well, if we must "spill the beans" we must. . .

I usually end up walking my girls down the toy isle and point out the things I think are fun and then once we are home I mention the toy I have in mind and after a few weeks, BAM, they think they are the ones who asked for it first! :)

Bethany said...

Haha, my kids are still too small to make requests (not for much longer alas.) Therefore, Jaxon is getting a new pair of shoes- size 6 womens and Lily is getting a new dress- um, lets just say NOT her size.
Ok, I am dreaming. I AM getting them toys, for THEM but it was all my picking. Hooray! Umm, oh ya, this was your problem. I am sorry Amy, I dont have an answer! But I think surprises are way better than demands :)

m@R(! said...

that is a hard question!!!! i have no answer..sorry! :( let me know what you decide. oh and i am waiting for the prom picture...oh and i also LOVE dolls. i love to dress them up. in fact i got a barbie for christmas a few years ago. i can't wait to play with McKinley someday!

Julie said...

OF COURSE you make all of her wildest "Shimmer Horse" dreams come true. Especially at this age - that's part of the magic of Christmas! Once they are in teenagehood that's when the "put-your-order-in-and-that's-what-you-get" becomes unmagical and annoying. It is at this point that I'm planning on adopting Jared's idea of a gift exchange. Everyone - GET YOUR OWN GIFT. Until then I say "Shimmer Horse" MUST be under the tree Christmas morning. That's my two cents... :) Luvs!

Rachel said...

If it's the ONE BIG THING she wants, yes totally get it. But I wouldn't get everything on her laundry list. I usually get the main things on her list and if she later says how she really still wants a particular thing, I'll save it for her b-day.

Jenny said...

Hey, great question. I've been wondering that myself. I keep telling my girls that they can only choose the present they want the very most. The problem I'm finding is that Lyndi changes her mind every week about what she wants the very most. I've already bought her present and it's hidden in the closet. So now I need to convince her that is what she wants the very most. Ashley wants the Diamond Castle Barbie, and I'm going to get it for her. We don't feel like we need another doll, but I know that is what she wants most. By the way, the hollie hobbie dolls are darling. Where did you finf them? And thank you for commenting on my blog. I love comments. And for watching me on t.v. the other day. That means a lot to me. Can't wait to see you and your darling family at Christmas. What day are going by the way?