Thursday, August 30, 2007

Gymnastics!

McKenzie has been wanting to take dance for months! My friend recommended a dance instructor close by and so we've been patiently waiting for registration day. Finally the day had come and we were both so excited to go. Everything seemed great, but the timing with my piano lessons was bad. Also, McKenzie said she wanted to do it but didn't seem as excited as I thought she would. I decided we should go check out a gymnastics place by us. We watched some kids doing gymnastics through the windows and then went up to the area where they teach the 3 and 4-year-olds and McKenzie was hooked! Her excitement was back and she decided gymastics was the thing for her :) It also worked better with my piano teaching schedule and there's a place for parents to watch that is fully equipped with a train table for Ethan to play with. PERFECT! McKenzie and I look forward to gymnastics every week. On Tuesday I told her, "Guess what tomorrow is?" She asked "What?" I said, "Wednesday". Her eyes got wide and she said "I get to go to gymnastics?!" Then she covered her mouth with her hands and just giggled and giggled. Her next question, after finding out that gymnastics is coming up, is always, "How many minutes is it?" I don't know how it satisfys her to tell her it's "9:43 a.m." But somehow it does - and I'm glad. Maybe McKenzie will try dance in the future, but gymnastics looks like tons more fun for a 3-year-old - with balance beams, trampoline, parallel bars, a foam pit with a slide coming down ... McKenzie's lessons are on the second floor and you can see down below to the older girls practicing. Man, I should have done gymnastics! As I watch them do their back handsprings and beam tricks, I have a serious urge to join them. Luckily Asher holds me back from making a fool of myself. McKenzie does so well at following instructions and never has a problem going right in and participating. She volunteered for something on the first day! What a girl. It's fun to watch her. She even chose her very own leotard. Here she is, in the pink floral, during her second lesson. I think I've got a prodigy on my hands! :)
I love this one where she's concentrating so hard on
how to put her feet without letting her elbows off her
ears :)
Ethan does really well for 50 minutes!
Notice the foam pit in the background. That's the
favorite thing - where they can try tricks into it from
the loft (that you can't see) and then slide down the
slide. One of these days I need to rush in there and
try it out before anyone's brain has a chance to
register that a fat lady just whizzed by with fists up
and elbows out (ya know, to block anyone that even
things about stopping me. I will make it to that pit!)
He needs a little love here and there and then is ready
to go back and play. What a cute boy!

5 comments:

Jason, Tiffany, and the Crew said...

Yea Kenzie! What a cute little gymnast you are and I love the leotard! SO CUTE! -Tiffany

simplycreating said...

Kenzie you are darling, and Ethan I'm glad you get to have fun too! Amy try to control those urges at least until the baby is safely here. Love ya.

Julie said...

First off, great form on the hand stand Kenz - secondly, the leotard is fabulous - third, way to demand attention Ethan - fourth - we're still countin down for you out here Amy! Love you guys!

elonna said...

How fun that sounds. I am with you on going and trying a few things out! :)

Bruce said...

Could you PLEASE wait to try out the foam pit? I really would like to be there with camera in hand.

Kenzie looks so cute doing gymnastics. You picked a good sport Kenzie! :)