Thursday, April 12, 2007

Art at its finest

Remember the old make-a-flower-out-of-tissue-paper-wrapped-around-a-pencil idea? For some reason I recently recalled learning that in grade school (it may have something to do with the legions of tissue paper overflowing out of my gift wrap box and attempting to take over the basement before marching into a colorful battle parade and charging its way upstairs to the beat of a drum). McKenzie and I decided to put some of that tissue paper to good use. It made both of our day! She LOVED it! I helped her wrap the tissue around the pencil, put some glue on the end, then she stuck it to the paper and patiently held it there as she counted to some random number with each one. The best part: Each time McKenzie took the pencil out of the tissue, she exclaimed "Yeaaaaaaa!" as if it was, again, the first time she had ever witnessed the process. It was fantastic! She kept saying "this is a party day!" (Hmmm....not quite sure whether to beam with pride that I have provided my daughter with an especially joyful experience or whether to re-examine how we spend most of our days) Nevertheless, after we were finished with the flower she insisted that it was a cake and offered me a piece, attached it to the fridge with magnets, then took it off the fridge and danced around with it as she sang "A cake, a cake, da da da da!" or something to that effect. Anyway, quite the splendid afternoon we had! We recommend having an art afternoon using the medium of tissue paper!






"Yea!!!!!!!"



"Do you want a piece of cake?"

"A cake, a cake........"
"Da da da da!"




4 comments:

simplycreating said...

How fun! We will have to try that craft project for sure. I always could use a fresh idea! Tell kenzie I think her flower/cake is beautiful and I would love a piece.

The Petrini Post said...

What a great idea? I remember doing that in garde school too. You should start your own list of fun arts and activities to do with a preschooler. I love reading your blog! :)

Julie said...

Okay - so cute! You should keep that and frame it, cool piece of artwork. Wish Kenzie and Hadley were able to dance together more often. Something with 2 year-olds and birthday parties - hadley is really into parties these days too.

elonna said...

I love the pictures of the dance and the "cake" turned out really good. It is really easy to make children happy.